Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Effective Conferencing With Young Writers

One of my favorite parts about teaching writing is the conference time with my students.  You can learn so much about a child's thinking, direction, motivation, path, or vision during this crucial time. 

A simple glance over a student’s shoulder, alongside a few inquiring questions, can make for a successful conference. You will start to read the students’ entries quickly and skim the writing. You may meet with students individually or in small groups.  

You may ask the writer/s some overarching questions:
Do you have any questions?
Please explain this...
Where are you going with the next step in your writing?
Compliment positive observations!

I have had one-minute conferences with major success. I scan the writing sample and I give necessary feedback. If a student is struggling with detail, I ask her/him to add a few adjectives. If the writing contains simple words, I ask the students to use more synonyms. I don’t ask the students to change too many things at once because they will return to their desks confused.

During this time, you don’t need to break out a red pen and correct every single mistake. Giving students a post-it note with one word, question, or comment that inspires them to revise, is truly effective.  Try to narrow the focus.

Example:
"What are you going to do when you return to your seat?"
"I am going to a write a more interesting hook and a add few more adjectives to my writing."

Remember, writing is a process, and most corrections can be made during editing and revision time. I don’t allow my students to make too many simple spelling, grammar, punctuation, or organization errors when the final copy is due. Try to keep the purpose of the lesson as a focal point.

I know it isn't easy finding the time in the day to meet with students, but I have some suggestions for you.    

Several teachers have asked how I manage to meet with all my students. I always let them know it is not easy, but these are my suggestions:

Once you teach your lesson, give the students a few minutes to get started. Remember to make a game of this. “Class, you wrote for 15 minutes yesterday, let’s go for 17 minutes today.” Believe me, there will be a student who will keep track of time unsolicited. Start walking the room after a few minutes. 

Additional Conference Time Suggestions:
  • Silent reading time (Pull a Group)
  • During Morning Work (Pull a group)
  • When students finish assignments (One on one time)
  • During the actual writing activity (Walk the room)
  • When a transition is going on and a student is clearly ready, pull him or her aside and have a quick conference.
I understand you may not have much free planning time. I noted some possible time-slots above, but you still may find it difficult to make time. This is why I conference in my own classroom throughout the day, whenever there is a spare moment. By the end of the day, I will have an idea what most students are working on as a writer. 

You don’t have to conference with every student every day; you only need to have a conference when you feel it is necessary.

Use the knowledge you gain about your students’ writing to help drive your instruction.  If the class seems to misunderstand a concept, make that your next writing lesson. 










0 comments:

Post a Comment