Monday, January 18, 2016

Fun Revision Strategy

I had a quick bout of insomnia a few weeks back and I was thinking about how I wish I could fall back to sleep.  Has this ever happened to you?  You stare at the walls and ceiling for what seems like hours on end.  This isn’t common for me, but something positive did come from my reflections that evening. 

I must have heard “Viva Las Vegas” earlier in the day because the word “dice” came to mind.  My next thought faded into writing.  I put one and one together and I came up with an idea. What happens when you put dice and writing together?  Nothing. Usually.  However…you can combine rolling dice with revision and I’m going to show you how. 

I put my plan into action the next day.  I asked my class to do a quick write, from a picture I took, while vacationing in New Hampshire. I gave them about 15 minutes to finish their written piece. I’ll list the steps in this process:

  • Ask students to read their passage out loud to themselves or a seat partner
  • Take out the dice from the math toolkits and place the pair on desks 
  • Roll one (die) or two (dice)
  • Add the dice together and make any necessary corrections/deletions/additions to that sentence
  • Repeat at least two times
  • The class rolled the dice numerous times and the revisions were endless

This lesson went over really well and they were engaged throughout the process. I shared my ROLES revisions with you in a previous post and now you have “Roll of The Dice Revision” as another way to revise.

0 comments:

Post a Comment